Update of biber missing

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Thu Feb 17 14:41:22 CET 2022

Herbert Voss wrote

>>  - The year in question should be 2021, and the arch (for 2021) universal-darwin.
>

> no, I never use the year!  Can be changed in the config file before
> installation
>
>>  MacTeX-2021 or -2020 do not create a /usr/local/texlive/bin/x86_64-darwin: the former creates /usr/local/texlive/2021/bin/universal-darwin, and the latter (AFAIR) /usr/local/texlive/2020/bin/x86_64-darwin. You must have installed differently. Did you install via install-tl?
>

> yes, the default TeXLive, not macTeX

Based on what Norbert Preining wrote in another thread earlier this month, it might simply be a matter of

	sudo tlmgr platform add universal-darwin
	sudo tlmgr platform set universal-darwin

In this way you'll get the Mac binaries for 2021, and use them. All are universal binaries (= x86_64 + arm64) compiled by Dick Koch, hence the directory name, except biber precisely which was compiled by its author for x86_64 I think then sent to Dick for inclusion in TeX Live.

Afterwards you can also run

	sudo tlmgr platform remove x86_64-darwin

if you want, to remove the unused binaries.

All without guarantee: I'm not very familiar with using tlmgr on the command-line, and its different actions and options.

Here (on a setup installed with MacTeX-2021)

% tlmgr platform list
tlmgr: package repository https://texlive.mycozy.space/systems/texlive/tlnet (verified)
Available platforms:
    aarch64-linux
    amd64-freebsd
    amd64-netbsd
    armhf-linux
    i386-cygwin
    i386-freebsd
    i386-linux
    i386-netbsd
    i386-solaris
(i) universal-darwin
    win32
    x86_64-cygwin
    x86_64-darwinlegacy
    x86_64-linux
    x86_64-linuxmusl
    x86_64-solaris
Already installed platforms are marked with (i)
You can add new platforms with: tlmgr platform add PLAT1 PLAT2...
You can remove platforms with: tlmgr platform remove PLAT1 PLAT2...
You can set the active platform with: tlmgr platform set PLAT

Hope this helps,

Bruno