[EXT] different hyphenation between pdftex and luatex

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Sat Sep 11 10:49:26 CEST 2021

Zdeněk Wagner wrote:
> so 11. 9. 2021 v 1:13 odesílatel Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> napsal:
>>
>>> Marei Peischl noticed that using "*" for gender forms in german language
>>> gives different hyphenation when using luatex and pdftex -- pdftex does not hyphenate, luatex does
>> I would imagine, Harald, that rather than using a bare asterisk you
>> would need to use (for example) "\*", where \* expands to a bare
>> asterisk with catcode <letter>.
>> ** Phil.
>>
> Isn't it a problem of a word boundary? I would rather use
> \def\*{*\nobreak\hskip 0pt \ignorespaces}

You may will be correct, Zdeněk .  I was thinking that the form with
embedded asterisk may hyphenate differently, but of course if that is
not the case then your solution will have the desired effect.
--
/** Phil./