missing backup directory

Haines Brown haines at histomat.net
Mon Nov 8 05:10:15 CET 2021

On Mon, Nov 08, 2021 at 07:40:25AM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Nov 2021, Haines Brown wrote:
> > I just installed TeXLive in a new box. It opearting system is devuan
>
> *What* did you install? TeX Live from Debian/Ubuntu or from Upstream?
> Where did you install it?
>  I guess from the files to /usr/local/texlive/2021
>  BUt you said as "user", are you sure?
> What does
> which latex
> say?

Thank you for the response. I installed install-tl-unx* from
/mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet and unpacked and archived it to
get a install-tl-20211028 installer.

I thought I had installed it to user's accouint, but now see that it
was installed in /usr/local:

  $ ls /usr/local/texlive
  2021  texmf-local

  $ which latex
  /usr/local/texlive/2021/bin/x86_64-linux/latex

> >   mktexfmt:   /home/haines/.texlive2021/texmf-config/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
>
> This file should NOT be here. Did you create it?
> What is contained in it?

No I did not create it and it is not there:

  $ ls /home/haines/.texlive2021
  ls: cannot access '/home/haines/.texlive2021': No such file or directory

> >         tlmrg: backupdir as set in tlpdb
> >           /usr/local/lexlive/201/tlpkg backups
> >         is not a directory
> >
> > Indeed the directory is missing. I hesitage simply to create it in the
> > fear that doing so hides a deeper problem.
>
> Irrelevant problem, you can create the dir.

Thanks, Norbert

> > I go to the tlmgr gui and do actions_>Rebuild all formates and get this error:
> >
> >         fmtutil [WARNING]: You seem to have no formats defined in your fmtutil.cnf files!
> >         fmtutil [INFO]: total formats: 0
> >         fmtutil [INFO]: exiting with status 0
>
> That is a consequence of the above fmtutil.cnf
>
> > I did $ sudo fmtutil-sys --all . This produced a lot of return and ended with:
>
> That calls the fmtutil from Debian/Ubuntu/Devuan, not the one from
> /usr/local/texlive/2021.

Interesting. I did not install the debian package. But perhaps in
bringing files over from an older installation of the operating system
I dragged something in I shouldn't have.

> Suggested steps depend on whether you *as user* have write access to
> /usr/local/texlive/2021 or not.

I do,

> If YES:
> * remove /home/haines/.texlive2021/texmf-config/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
> * run
> 	fmtutils-sys --all
>
> If NO:
> * remove /home/haines/.texlive2021/texmf-config/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
> * change to root user
> * add /usr/local/texlive/2021/bin/x86_64-linux/ to the PATH of the
>   running shell (export PATH=/usr/local........:$PATH)
> * run
> 	fmtutil-sys --all

but as noted I have no /home/haines/texlive2021 direxctory

Since I wanted to install LaTeX into user space I suspect I might just
as well delete the exiisg LaTeX and reinstall it. Unless you have an
interest in knowing the source of my problen, that is what I will do.

--
Haines Brown