paper options

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Fri May 21 15:43:21 CEST 2021

On Fri, 21 May 2021 at 14:11, Lars Madsen <daleif at math.au.dk> wrote:

> No idea, AFAIK it only affect external programmes. For example
>
> \documentclass{article}
>
> does not all of a sudden produce A4

Actually the setting _does_ cause pdf(la)tex to make A4 PDF. as you can see
with pdfinfo for example:

Page size:      595.276 x 841.89 pts (A4)

However it does not affect latex macros  which still makes a typeset area
targeted for USLetter unless you add [a4paper]

Conversely if your site setting is for US Letter and you add [a4paper] as a
latex option latex formats the typeset area
targeted for A4 but does not actually change the media size unless a
backend package such as graphics, geometry or hyperref is loaded.

Current LaTeX releases have l3backend loaded so we may (finally) be able to
do something about this mis-match.

David