[pretest] Metapost graphics file not found

Phelype Oleinik phe.h.o1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 04:11:45 CET 2021

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 3:08 AM Uwe Siart <usenet at siart.de> wrote:

> With the following MetaPost and LaTeX test files
>
> [...]
>
> the pdflatex log file says:
>
> ,----
> | LaTeX Warning: File `graph-test.1' not found on input line 5.
> `----
>
> However, the graphics is included correctly in the PDF. So the warning
> seems to be wrong.

Hi Uwe,

Good catch!  I filed an issue in the latex2e repo and pushed a fix to
this: https://github.com/latex3/latex2e/issues/516.  The problem was
that the file extension is stored in two places, and one was being lost
halfway through, thus the weird warning.  Should be fixed in the next
-dev and major releases.

> Also I think that \DeclareGraphicsRule{*}{mps}{*}{} was not needed in TL
> 2020. But I can't test at the moment.

No, for a file with an unknown extension it was always needed, because
contrary to .tex files that can just be read, some graphics files can't,
and graphics.sty refuses to read a file with an unknown extension.

Best,
Phelype