latex2nemeth failures on windows

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Jul 27 18:53:52 CEST 2021

Hi Ulrike,

    Subject: latex2nemeth failures on windows

Does arara work? texosquery? They're all Java programs.

On Windows, the .exe's are copies of the w32_wrapper which invokes
runscript.tlu, as you found:
$ pwd
../bin/win32
$ ls -l arara.exe latex2nemeth.exe
-rwxr-xr-x 1 karl root 1536 Apr  5  2013 arara.exe*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 karl root 1536 Apr  5  2013 latex2nemeth.exe*
$ cmp arara.exe latex2nemeth.exe
$

So, why the wrapper would end up requiring sh for latex2nemeth but not
arara is a mystery to me. I hope one of the Windows-knowledgeable people
here can look into it.

The shell is not supposed to be needed. The shell script for both arara
and latex2nemeth (and other java programs) is simply (well, the arara has
some more stuff for Cygwin, but I don't think that matters here):

$ pwd
../bin/x86_64-linux
$ cat latex2nemeth
#!/bin/sh
jarpath=`kpsewhich --progname=latex2nemeth --format=texmfscripts latex2nemeth-v1.0.2.jar`
exec java -jar "$jarpath" "$@"
$

    After I tracked down the nemeth.json in the doc folder and copied it
    into the current folder

I'll write the latex2nemeth maintainers, I guess. I would not ordinarily
guess that a file distributed as "examples/nemeth.json" needs to be in
the runtime. (And polytonic.json needs a prefix.)

       latex2nemeth -e nemeth.json nemeth-test.tex nemeth-test.aux
    succeeded

I'm happy and moderately surprised it works at all on Windows. --best, karl.