config.ps and landscape page size

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Fri Jul 23 17:12:32 CEST 2021

If one create a *nearly* letter landscape page with

   %nearly letter landscape
   \usepackage[paperwidth=11in,paperheight=8in]{geometry}

and then compile with dvips + pstopdf one get a landscape mediaBox
and Rotation 0 in the pdf:

  /Type/Page/MediaBox [0 0 792 576] /Rotate 0

If one use *exactly* letter size

   \usepackage[paperwidth=11in,paperheight=8.5in]{geometry}

Then the mediabox is portrait and there is a rotation:

   /Type/Page/MediaBox [0 0 612 792]
/Rotate 270

This is a bit of a problem as it affects appearances of form field
widget annotations which then need special code to detect this and
to rotate everything back, and it also makes it difficult to rotate
an individual page in the document: in the first case you must add a
rotation of 90 and in the second of 180 or 0.

I wonder if one could extend config.ps and add real landscape
settings at least for the main page sizes. E.g. if I add this:

@ letterlandscape 11in 8.5in
@+ ! %%DocumentPaperSizes: LetterLandscape
@+ %%BeginPaperSize: LetterLandscape
@+ /setpagedevice where
@+  { pop << /PageSize [792 612] >> setpagedevice }
@+ if
@+ %%EndPaperSize

then I get the right mediabox (which you get also with pdflatex)
also for the letter case

/Type/Page/MediaBox [0 0 792 612]
/Rotate 0

--