Fontconfig problem with one of the fonts

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Wed Jan 13 17:45:07 CET 2021

Hi Franek,

just to add to other comments already sent.

> - Run configure hook of "zoom-client" snap if present (run hook "configure":
> -----
> Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 5: unknown element "its:rules"
> Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 6: unknown element "its:translateRule"
> Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'translate'
> Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'selector'
> Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 7: invalid attribute 'xmlns:its'
> Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 7: invalid attribute 'version'
> Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 9: unknown element "description"
> -----)

This has nothing to do with the TeX Live fonts configuration. From what
is shown there, it looks like a proper fonts.conf file, mine contains
the same data.

So my guess is that the zoom-client snap is just messed up - anyway, the
zoom client snap will have its private fontconfig AFAIR.

> This is only one application but errors are caused by any application which need to be installed or refreshed by snap. If I remove "09-texlive.conf" and re-cache all fonts:
> rm -f ~/.cache/fontconfig/*
> sudo rm -f /var/cache/fontconfig/*
> sudo fc-cache -rv

This is strange, because the above errors don't point to anything
related to TeX Live.

I don't have any experience with snap, but I guess it detects that the
outside world (snap is somehow a sandbox) has a changed fontconfig
configuration, and tries to mimic that - but the snap fontconfig library
is too old to read the config files of the host system.

But this is all only crystal ball reading.

So, to sum it up:
* nothing in the error messages you send has a relation to TeX Live
* I guess that any other change in /etc/fonts/conf.d/ would trigger
  something similar
* the bug is at best in Snap, and not in TeX Live.

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev