TeX Live, Tiny TeX, AWS Lambda and reworking TeX for modern times

Manfred Lotz manfred at dante.de
Thu Jan 7 10:57:08 CET 2021

On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 00:35:55 +0100
Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> what is needed is not just TinyTeX but removal of TeX from dependences
> in R. What I need is to process automatically R code on a tiny
> computer with a very small disk space and never use TeX on it.
> Unfortunatelly R installation fails because it tries to install a huge
> TeX distro. Thus unless the R maintainers do not change their minds,
> TinyTeX will not help here.

There is tectonic which is quite interesting and worked ok for me when
testing it with some of my (admittedly not very complicated) documents.
It installs needed packages from texlive automatically during compile
and it doesn't need a texlive locally. On my system, Fedora 33,
tectonic places downloaded stuff in ~/.cache/Tectonic .

Tectonic is a modernized, complete, self-contained TeX/LaTeX engine,