version data missing in ConTeXt hyphenation patterns

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Wed Feb 24 10:29:06 CET 2021

[Since I'm not sure who is responsible for generating the pattern
 files for ConTeXt I'm writing to this list.]

If I look into file

  tex/context/patterns/mkiv/lang-de.lua

I see the following.

  ["metadata"]={
    ["mnemonic"]="de",
    ["source"]="hyph-de-1996",
    ["texcomment"]="% no comment",
  }

However, version information is completely missing.  For example, file

  tex/generic/hyph-utf8/patterns/tex/hyph-de-1996.tex

contains

  % version: 2019-04-04

[Arthur worked hard to make the comment format uniform for all
pattern files in `hyph-utf8`!]

This omission is really bad IMHO, since the version of the patterns
are essential to get identical line breaks for older documents.

I guess it shouldn't be too difficiult to update the `mtxrun` script,
making it add

  ["version"]="2019-04-04"

to the 'metadata' block.  Or maybe it's better to make it update the
`.rme` files with the corresponding information.

    Werner