tex live 2021 installation question

Bob bobabc at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 19 01:46:22 CEST 2021

Hi Karl,

I went back through the installation instructions, and I could not find
any place where you recommended using the native TL installer instead of
the linux distribution's package manager.  This may have been a
prejudice based on something I had read in the past.  Also, some years
ago I installed TL using the package manager in Linux mint.  I remember
that there were problems with that installation, and I switched to using
the native TL installer.  I apologize for putting words in your mouth
about preferring one to the other.

I think the installation instructions are excellent.  The only part that
I found confusing was having permission to write to /usr/local/texlive
(which I previously solved by being too generous with write
permissions).  The suggestion by several, especially by Zdenek, of
changing the ownership of /usr/local/texlive was quite helpful.

All the best to you, too!

--Bob