tl2020 pretest begin

Paulo Ney de Souza pauloney at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 04:40:34 CET 2020

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 8:16 PM Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> > The file has been saved incorrectly. Both Ubuntu and Windows see it like
> > that. Just take a minute to open the file:
> >
> >      texlive-source-trunk/utils/vlna/vlna-src/README
> >
> > and you will see.
>
> No, you simply DON'T GET IT!!! IT IS CORRECT!!!!
>
> Start up emacs
>         C-x RET c
>         iso-8859-2
>         C-x C-f
>         README
> That is, select iso-8859-2 for opening the file, and you will see that
> it displays ***absolutely** correct ...
>
> It is YOUR EDITOR that is broken because it assumes UTF-8.
>
> This file is, as it is also stated in the first lines, encoded in
> iso-8859-2.
>
> Norbert

Norbert,

You are correct! Sorry. If you tell your editor by hand to use ISO-8859-2,
you get the correct display, but my point is different.

The OS tries to determine the encoding and then open the file on what
believes it is the correct one. At the time that package was written
ISO-8859-2 was really common in Czechoslovakia, now it is no longer the
case - now they use UTF-8 in the region.

Paulo Ney