tl2020 pretest begin

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sat Mar 14 04:01:53 CET 2020

Hi Paulo,

> And I assume they are all correct -- in the sense they display the right
> thing to a reader.

The are all correct, but don't display the right thing.

The basic property of encodings is that, if you don't know the encoding,
you cannot properly display it.

There are tools for guessing the encoding (nkf eg), but without knowing
whether it is iso8850, iso-2022, utf8, or whatever strange it might be,
there is NO way to properly display it.

So what do you mean with correct?

> But something that is signed with "Petr Ol¹ák" is very big indication that
> the file was written in ISO-8859-2 and saved in ISO-8859-1. In fact if you
> change it -- the whole file becomes correct.

No, it was probably **displayed** in 8859-1. You computer environment
assumes a certain file encoding, but that might be wrong.

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev