[TL 2020] asy executables on FreeBSD

Osipov, Michael michael.osipov at siemens.com
Tue Mar 10 09:30:55 CET 2020

Folks,

this resource [1] mentions that Nelson Beebe provides the build of asy
for FreeBSD. I wrote to Nelson and he does not. It is coming from
elsewhere. Can someone eithe remove that information or add the proper
originator? Is it Nikola Lečić?

> On my FreeBSD 12.1 x86_64 system, I find
>
> 	% ldd /usr/uumath/texlive/2020/bin/amd64-freebsd/asy | fgrep stdc+
>         libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/local/lib/gcc10/libstdc++.so.6 (0x800ba2000)
>
> I didn't build that one.

Another issue with asy, it requires libstdc++ from GCC dynamically. It
force everyone to install the entire GCC chain which is annoying.

Following Nelson's advise:

> My build-texlive-2020.sh script starts by setting
>
> 	CXXFLAGS            = -std=c++11 -static-libstdc++
>
> The -lstdc++ library has been a huge nuisance for packagers of binary
> executables, because it is highly compiler release dependent.  In all
> of my work with C++, I therefore use the g++/clang++ flag
> -static-libstdc++, so that the executable embeds any needed code from
> that library.

Can someone trigger the originator to embed the library or link against
LLVM c++ from base unless there is hard requirement for GCC?

Michael

[1] https://github.com/TeX-Live/texlive-source/blob/trunk/README#L51