(darwin-legacy pretest) about 5% slow-down of \edef in etex

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 09:22:02 CET 2020

Hi,

Just a few short notes. Two things that changed since TL 2019 are the following:
- switch from clang 7 to clang 9
- (hopefully) switch from "the latest" libc++ to the one shipped with OS X Lion
which could have certainly impacted the performance, but it's bad if
they had a negative impact (I would expect a newer compiler to perform
better :)

For reasons beyond explanation (unless perhaps due to disk usage; I
just cleaned up some) the VM which builds the binaries became
unbearably slow
    https://build.contextgarden.net/#/builders/32 (click on "build times")
    https://build.contextgarden.net/#/builders/14 (same OS, but
running natively, much faster)
but I don't believe this is related to the speed of the resulting
binaries in any way.

In the past the slow speed was due to optimisation being removed as
soon as one was using CFLAGS. I'm now explicitly passing "-Os". Maybe
a different flag would be in place, I don't know.

What performance do you get if you compile the binaries yourself
(assuming you have Xcode or command line tools at least)?

Mojca