xdvipdfmx-20200116 : additional q/Q bracket around BT...ET

Shunsaku Hirata shunsaku.hirata74 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 21:16:30 CET 2020

Hi,

2020年3月5日(木) 21:09 Hironobu Yamashita <h.y.acetaminophen at gmail.com>:

> * When your statement below is taken into account, the commit
>   on 2019-06-30 (enclosing every occurence of BT..ET with q..Q)
>   has much more influence on the internal behavior.
>   (This is why I reverted the change in r53973.)
>
> SH> Whenever internal behavior of dvipdfmx is changed
> SH> the reslts can be quite different.

What I meant here was that the fundamental problem is the results of
pdf:code depends on the internal behavior and requires presumption
on it to always work as intented. It is not the matter of which internal
behavior is suited for some typical situations.

> * On the other hand, I'd like to avoid unwanted fake-bold.
>   To achieve this, it is enough to add "0 Tr" only after fake-bold
>   ends, and is considered the smallest change needed to the
>   internal behavior.

You can't know what text rendering mode was before. Forcing it to "0"
is not a proper solution at all. From this perspective I had decided to
enclose text block with the q-Q bracket. (plus isolating the effects of
graphics state changes done there by adding the q-Q bracket is more
safer operation)

Anyway you have already reverted my change thus I guess you are
going to commit your change.

Thanks,
Shunsaku Hirata