rendering brackets

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 15:35:42 CET 2020

On Mon, 2 Mar 2020 at 14:23, Michael J. Baars <
mjbaars1977.tex-live at cyberfiber.eu> wrote:

> On Sun, 2020-03-01 at 16:51 +0000, David Carlisle wrote:
>
> I don't see anything unusual in your output. You have chosen to use
> \left--\right (it is often better to choose a specific size such as
> \bigl..\bigr) but if you use \left..\right then the size of the brackets
> depends on the size of the contained expression  and \frac{1}{a} is taller
> than \frac{a}{1}
>

> Yeah, well I did see something unusual. \frac{1}{a} and \frac{a}{1} are
> supposed to be exacly the same height,

Perhaps you should ask about that as (with computer modern at least) that
is not the case and so the behaviour of \left\right follows.

Basically 1 and a have the same depth so the depth of the denominators are
the same, but 1 has more height than a and that affects the height of the
numerator and so of the overall fraction.

\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}

\sbox0{$\displaystyle\frac{1}{a}$}
\typeout{1/a: \the\ht0+\the\dp0}

\sbox0{$\displaystyle\frac{a}{1}$}
\typeout{a/1: \the\ht0+\the\dp0}

\end{document}

produces

1/a: 13.20952pt+6.85951pt
a/1: 11.07062pt+6.85951pt

so the first form is over 2pt taller and so gets a larger bracket if you
auto-size the brackets with \left\right.

> that is what the whole experiment is about. Have it your way... if that is
> what you prefer.

It isn't a question of what I prefer, I am just stating what the font
metrics specify.

David