[EXT] Re: rendering brackets

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 12:11:27 CEST 2020

On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 at 10:26, Michael J. Baars <
mjbaars1977.tex-live at cyberfiber.eu> wrote:

> On Wed, 2020-06-17 at 16:01 +0100, David Carlisle wrote:
>

> On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 at 15:30, Michael J. Baars <
> mjbaars1977.tex-live at cyberfiber.eu> wrote:
>
> Hi Philip,
>
> Well, you can do whatever you like with the .tex example, trow it away
> for all I care.
>
> I'm just trying to tell you, as a friend, that that
> "\left(\frac{1}{a}\right)" and "\left(\frac{a}{1}\right)" are rendered
> with brackets of different size, while the brackets of
> "\left(\frac{1}{2}\right" and "\left(\frac{2}{1}\right)" are rendered
> with brackets of the same size.
>

> That's not unexpected behaviour. Note the denominator isn't affecting the
> layout here so your observation is equivalent to
>

> I see it like this. 75% of the tex input behaves as "intended" (as more
> than 50% of the input), while 25% behaves differently. I would call that
> unexpected behaviour.

We've tried to explain to you why it is as it is, not sure what else can be
said.
It may be unexepected to you, which is fair enough, but it's working as
designed, and certainly unrelated to any texlive-specific code
since it is a feature of the font metrics so this is not the right list.
Fundamentally the issue is that a does not have the same height as 1.

David