[EXT] Re: rendering brackets

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Wed Jun 17 17:23:14 CEST 2020

Michael J. Baars wrote:

> Hi Philip,
>
> Well, you can do whatever you like with the .tex example, trow it away for all I care.

As you wish.

> I'm just trying to tell you, as a friend, that that
> "\left(\frac{1}{a}\right)" and "\left(\frac{a}{1}\right)" are rendered
> with brackets of different size, while the brackets of
> "\left(\frac{1}{2}\right" and "\left(\frac{2}{1}\right)" are rendered
> with brackets of the same size.
>
> That's all :)

And I, and everyone else who has tried to help you, have responded "So
what ?  Why should they not be ?".  TeX does not do what you want it to
do, any more than does any other programing language, it does what you
tell it to do.  And if you tell to stack a little thing over a big thing
you will get one size of delimiter, and if you tell it to stack a big
thing over a big thing, you will get a different size of delimiter.  Why
would you expect otherwise, especially in view of the fact that you (in
your own words) "have quite some experience with .tex files" ?

> \documentclass {minimal}
>
> \begin {document}
>
> $$\left(\frac{1}{a}\right) \hbox {and} \left(\frac{a}{1}\right)$$
>
> $$\left(\frac{1}{2}\right) \hbox {and} \left(\frac{2}{1}\right)$$
>
> \end {document}

/Philip Taylor/