How to package executables

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Jul 22 00:06:05 CEST 2020

On 2020-07-21 at 22:17:40 +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

 > I certainly find the tool useful (assuming I would still be using
 > latex).

I'm not _that_ sure.  If we are talking about LaTeX, all one has to do
is to put a .latexmkrc file into the directory containing the main
LaTeX source file and run "latexmk <filename>" without any other
arguments.  There is nothing the user has to remember either.

Here is my .latexmkrc file:

  $pdflatex = 'lualatex --synctex=1 %O %S';
  $pdf_mode = 1;
  $dvi_mode = $postscript_mode = 0;

The advantage over spix is that latexmk determines dynamically which
programs to run and how many compilations are necessary.  From the
viewpoint of a user this is by far the simplest approach.

The only advantage of spix which comes to my mind is that you can have
different LaTeX projects which depend on different engines in one and
the same directory.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25