texdoc topic

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Wed Sep 11 09:34:27 CEST 2019

Hi Reinhard,

Le 10 sept. 2019 à 23:27, Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> a écrit :

> On 2019-09-10 at 18:51:04 +0200, jfbu wrote:
>
>> $ texdoc topic
>> texlua: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by texlua)
>
> Maybe your libc is too old.  In order to get the version number, just
> execute /lib64/libc.so.6 like an ordinary program.
>
> On CentOS-7 I get
>
>  $ /lib64/libc.so.6
>  GNU C Library (GNU libc) stable release version 2.17, [...]
>
> On Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)" I get
>
>  $ /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6
>  GNU C Library (Debian GLIBC 2.28-10+rpi1) stable release version 2.28.

When I ssh to my work account I get this

$ /lib64/libc.so.6
GNU C Library stable release version 2.12, by Roland McGrath et al.
[...]
Compiled by GNU CC version 4.4.7 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-23).
Compiled on a Linux 2.6.32 system on 2019-04-09.

I can't even use etex:

etex: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by etex)

The problem being that my TeXLive 2019 installation is visible in
the environment, but the server to which I end up connected is antiquated,
thus the binaries simply don't work.

I used to be able to ssh (in two steps) to my office host when it
was up and running, but I think the sysadmins may have become aware
of that loophole and last time I tried I could not.

(not to say that the machine software in my office is really
up-to-date,
in fact the sysadmins philosophy is to hand over new laptops
under Ubuntu to anyone who complains, and these laptops are
under direct control of users and connect directly to the network
via cable or wifi ; this way the have to manage an ever-decreasing
obsoleted sets of servers and clients, which is good for their
workload. And the strategy works. I also have such a laptop at
my office with which I can play with Ubuntu and install things
at will)

Best,

Jean-François