Aleph

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 14:54:29 CEST 2019

st 16. 10. 2019 v 14:33 odesílatel Marcel Fabian Krüger
<tex at 2krueger.de> napsal:

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 07:21:07PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> > Now an observation: With luahblatex-dev loading luaotfload-dev 3.006-dev
> > the "oM+'" ligature (top of second page) is broken. Here to confirm some
> > lines from the log file
> > LaTeX2e <2019-10-01> pre-release-3 (development 2019-10-16 branch)
> > Lua module: luaotfload-main 2019-10-15 3.0006-dev luaotfload entry point
> > Lua module: luaotfload-init 2019-10-15 3.0006-dev luaotfload submodule / initial
> > ization
> > Lua module: lualibs 2019-08-11 2.67 ConTeXt Lua standard libraries.
> > Lua module: lualibs-extended 2019-08-11 2.67 ConTeXt Lua libraries -- extended c
> > ollection.
> > Lua module: luaotfload-log 2019-10-15 3.0006-dev luaotfload submodule / logging
> > Lua module: luaotfload-parsers 2019-10-15 3.0006-dev luaotfload submodule / file
> > list
> > Lua module: luaotfload-configuration 2019-10-15 3.0006-dev luaotfload submodule
> >

> > While with plain luahblatex or lualatex, it works ... do you understand
> > this?
>
> It seems like other HarfBuzz users, especially (my terminal,)
> LibreOffice and XeTeX also shows the dotted circle there. It is
> automatically inserted by HarfBuzz and looking into it I think that it
> corresponds to the shaping rules in Unicode.

The dotted circle is displayed in all scripts derived from Brahmi in
dependent vowel (matras) and they denote the position of a consonant
or a consonant group. If you see the dotted circle in a regular
output, it means that the shaping rule did not connect the matra
correctly to the consonant. If you have Linux and open any Indic block
in gucharmap, you will see the dotted circles in the display of all
matras.

> Does this work in any non-TeX programs?
>
> The problem is that Om (U+0F00) has Indic Syllabic Category "Other"
> which is not one of the base letter categories.
> Therefore it is not a valid base for the following U+0FB0 and HarfBuzz
> inserts the dotted circle to provide a base for the subjoint letter.
> (This doesn't happen with LuaTeX because the ConTeXt fontloader never
> inserts these dotted circles on it's own AFAICT)
> I can't say if this classification is correct because I don't know
> anything about this script, but if the same problem exists  in other
> programs it might be worth raising an issue on the HarfBuzz tracker.
>

> Marcel

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz