Aleph

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Tue Oct 15 10:32:49 CEST 2019

Hi Ulrike,

thanks for your email, it would be great if we could work that out, I am
helping a friend settting Tibetan/Sanskrit texts and this is a real
pain.

I attach four files
	tibetan-test.ENGINE.pdf
for ENGINE in luatex, xetex, luahbtex, harftex

* First of all, the text you send does not show up correctly with
  luatex, only with xetex, there is considerable overlap in glyphs
  and the wrong compound is selected in the luatex and luahbtex case.

* Then look at the first row of big characters
  - xetex got it correct with all fonts
  - lua(hb)tex use a strange glyph with a dotted circle set below,
    in the Noto case

* The last line shows the biggest problem: In Tibetan there are
  "standard" combinations of characters, that are used in normal
  Tibetan, and then there are non-standard ones, that are often
  used to transcribe religious text, Devenagari etc etc. If the font
  does not provide a proper pre-composed glyph, the font/layout
  engine needs to do this manually.
  Back in Omega times I wrote code for this in OTPs (analyzing
  the stacks, and emitting TeX code creating the proper stacks),
  but with xetex and luatex the layout is completely broken.
  In the xetex case we even get the dotted circle variants set
  aside ..

  I included a graphics of the correct output.

(sorry for the dirty tex code, not much time here at my company ;-)

I also attach the fonts Jomolhari and DDC-Uchen.

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev