who can fix babel-french incompatibility with crossreftools

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 00:08:36 CEST 2019

po 14. 10. 2019 v 0:01 odesílatel David Carlisle
<d.p.carlisle at gmail.com> napsal:

> On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 at 22:39, Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > this is not just a problem of French, Czech and Slovak activates a
> > hyphen, Latin has active characters, Slovak even activates ^ which
> > makes sequences like ^^A and ^^cd unavailable (and it cannot be solved
> > by \string). I am afraid that many other clashes can occur.
> >

> If they are babel shorthands defined by the babel declarations so
> their active definition starts with \active at prefix
> I do not see why the code that I suggested should not work. As you see
> there is nothing specific to : or French in the suggested addition.
> If you have an example where it does fail I'd be happy to have a look

It is only a problem with ^^ notation. Your solution works "in  TeX's
stomach" but in order to make ^^ work properly, two adjacent
characters with category 7 must be seen "in TeX's mouth". I am afraid
that ^ is activated in several languages. If such a language package
is loaded and the language is not currently active, then ^ expands to
^ with character 7 so that it works properly in math but it is to late
for ^^. Other puctuation characters can be used in \label, \ref,
\cline, \hline, \hhline and here your solution will work (I hope).

> David

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz