who can fix babel-french incompatibility with crossreftools

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 21:24:42 CEST 2019

Is that a one-place code addition I need to make, or is it something I need to use to patch each and every command in crossreftools that uses the csname…endcsname construction?

[I _said_, in effect, that I’m nearly clueless so far as pure TeX is concerned(.I can get around OK with LaTeX constructs.)]

> On 13 Oct2019, at 1:38 PM, David Carlisle <d.p.carlisle at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 at 18:28, Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> you have to patch all macros where you need a colon with category 12,
>> for instance:
>

> I think it's better just to make the active : definition safe in
> \label (by making it safe in a csname)
>
> \let\zzz\active at prefix
> \def\active at prefix{\ifincsname\expandafter\string\else\expandafter\zzz\fi}
>
> should make all babel shorthand characters be protected by \string in
> such constructs.
>
> David
>

>> \let\origlabel\label
>> \def\label{\begingroup\catcode`\:12\inactivelabel}
>> \def\inactivelabel#1{\endgroup\origlabel{#1}}
>>
>> This is a general problem with babel and nobody is able to fix all
>> packages with all languages. If you are not forced to use babel,
>> consider switching to XeLaTeX and polyglossia. You will not have so
>> many problems.
>>
>> Zdeněk Wagner
>> http://ttsm.icpf.cas.cz/team/wagner.shtml
>> http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz
>>
>> ne 13. 10. 2019 v 17:38 odesílatel Murray Eisenberg
>> <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> napsal:
>>>
>>> Because babel-french makes the colon (:) an active character, the functions in the crossreftools cause errors with \label when the argument of \label includes a colon. See:
>>>
>>> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/511030/another-babel-french-incompatibility-with-crossreftools
>>>
>>> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/510591/babel-and-crossreftools-incompatibility/510641#510641
>>>
>>> Who can fix this? (I am unqualified: the TeX in crossreftools is well beyond my very rudimentary knowledge of pure TeX.)
>>>
>>> The package maintainer is Christian Hupfer, but according to his tex.stackexchange.com profile, he has stopped reading tex.stackexchange and “returned to the Black Forest."
>>> ---
>>> Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
>>> 503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
>>> Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com