Updating basictex did not trigger format rebuild

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Sat Oct 12 03:56:47 CEST 2019

Norbert,

OK, I'll rebuild Basic TeX. Before starting, I decided to try an experiment. I made BasicTeX-2019 my default TeX Distribution and then ran "sudo tlmgr paper a4". As the console output below says, formats were rebuilt. Why didn't this operation consult

	$opt_fmt = $localtlpdb->option("create_formats");

before rebuilding the formats, like tlmgr does when updating?

Richard

tlmgr: setting paper size for dvipdfmx to a4: /usr/local/texlive/2019basic-hardened/texmf-config/dvipdfmx/dvipdfmx.cfg
tlmgr: setting paper size for dvips to a4: /usr/local/texlive/2019basic-hardened/texmf-config/dvips/config/config.ps
tlmgr: setting paper size for pdftex to a4: /usr/local/texlive/2019basic-hardened/texmf-config/tex/generic/config/pdftexconfig.tex
tlmgr: setting paper size for xdvi to a4: /usr/local/texlive/2019basic-hardened/texmf-config/xdvi/XDvi
Regenerating all formats, this may take some time ...running fmtutil-sys --no-error-if-no-engine=luajittex,mfluajit --all ...
done running fmtutil-sys --no-error-if-no-engine=luajittex,mfluajit --all.
done