fixing kpathsea

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 11:13:43 CET 2019

ne 24. 11. 2019 v 14:55 odesílatel Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> napsal:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> On Sun, 24 Nov 2019, N. Andrew Walsh wrote:
> > Sorry for the delay. I've now completely deleted the TUG texlive
> > installation from [$HOME], and have reinstalled it as a regular user.
>
> THat wasn't necessary, a simple chmod -R user.group of the texlive
> directory would have sufficied.
>
> But anyway.
>
> > as a regular user returned two lines in ~/.profile, where that variable
> > appears to be set. I've now commented those lines out.
>
> Ahh, but then it does mean that your environment settings are carried
> over to root when doing su, which is normally not a good idea and more
> modern versions don't do this, AFAIR (or you need to add -E to
> explicitly enable it).

It depends how you switch to the root account. If you use "su -" in
the terminal, you will have just root's environment. If you use
"sudo", the environment settings will probably be carried over (but I
am not sure, I do not use sudo). I do not know what the GUI for system
update will do.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz