fixing kpathsea

Alexander Grahn A.Grahn at web.de
Thu Nov 14 17:15:58 CET 2019

Andrew,

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 01:45:58PM +0100, N. Andrew Walsh wrote:
>Hi Norbert,
>
>On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 11:00 AM Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:
>

>> FIrst of all, this is a *NO*GO*!!!
>>

>thank you for writing back, but I think I've maybe been unclear about my
>situation. Let me reiterate what is happening:
>
>1) I have used gentoo's package manager to install gentoo's texlive
>packages onto the system. I use gentoo's package manager to update those
>packages.
>2) I installed a TUG install of TL into my user subdirectory, which was
>/[$HOME]/tex-local/texlive/2017/ (despite that I keep updating it). This is
>a separate install, and I use this tlmgr to update this install *only*. I
>am uncertain why, but this local install uses root permissions, but only
>updates its local subdirectory and packages. Nothing from the TUG install
>touches system directories or paths.
>3) gentoo hasn't updated its texlive packages since 2017, but has now
>released new distribution packages. I am trying to install *these only*
>using gentoo's installer. They are failing with the below error.
>
>> ---------------------
>> > * Building format texmf-dist/fmtutil/format.texlive-basic.cnf
>> > Can't locate mktexlsr.pl in @INC (@INC contains: //tlpkg
>> > //texmf-dist/scripts/texlive /etc/perl
>> > /usr/local/lib64/perl5/5.30.0/x86_64-linux /usr/local/lib64/perl5/5.30.0
>> > /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.30.0/x86_64-linux
>> > /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.30.0 /usr/local/lib64/perl5
>> > /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.12.4 /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl
>> > /usr/lib64/perl5/5.30.0/x86_64-linux /usr/lib64/perl5/5.30.0) at
>> > /usr/bin/fmtutil line 23.
>> > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/fmtutil line 25.
>> >  * ERROR: dev-texlive/texlive-basic-2019-r1::gentoo failed (compile
>> phase):
>> > ------------------------
>>
>> That is a Gentoo bug. They have not patched tlmgr.pl so that it finds
>> the correct modules.
>>

>gentoo's devs keep telling me that this is an error with my own kpathsea
>setup, and not with the packages. Further, they tell me to add the TUG TL
>path (ie, in my user directory) to the $PATH to get it to work. Is this
>advice wrong?
>
>In short: I want to manage my user-directory TUG TL using its own tlmgr,
>but use the system packages to update the system TL, and not have them
>conflict, or interact in any way. How do I do this?
>
>Cheers,

I also have Gentoo running, but I gave up trying to use TL that ships with
the distro. Instead, I installed in parallel a vanilla TeXLive into my
home directory. In the parent directory of texmf-dist and company, that
is in ~/texlive/2019/, I put the following shell script which starts a new
shell with the necessary TL environment settings:

#!/bin/bash

####################################
# starts shell with TL environment #
####################################

TEXDIR=$(dirname $(realpath $0))

platform=$($TEXDIR/install-tl --print-arch)

if test "$platform" = ""; then
  echo 'Platform unsupported'
  exit 1
fi

if test ! -d $TEXDIR/bin/$platform; then
  echo 'Platform unsupported'
  exit 1
fi

export PATH=$TEXDIR/bin/$platform:$PATH
export MANPATH=$TEXDIR/texmf-dist/doc/man:$MANPATH
export INFOPATH=$TEXDIR/texmf-dist/doc/info:$INFOPATH

#dynamical prompt and term window title
export PS1='\[\033]0;\u@\h:\w\007\]\[\033[01;31m\]TeXLive \u@\h\[\033[01;34m\]:\w\n\$\[\033[00m\] '

export BIBINPUTS=.//:
export BSTINPUTS=.//: