Python2 deprecation - many scripts need care!!!

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Nov 12 02:16:14 CET 2019

Dear all,

With the end of 2019, Python2 will be deprecated and not receive any
security updates. Most distributions will throw out Python2 completely.
(Don't ask me about my opinion on the whole Py2/Py3 mess ...)

We have quite a lot of scripts in TeX Live that are Python2 only, and we
should seriously do some work on getting that fixed, rather soon.

I have started a list of packages/scripts I found that require python,
and tried to check which version they need, see below list.

If you are the maintainer of any of these packages, and still are using
Python2, please try to update to Python3 as soon as possible.

Any help is appreciated.

Norbert

(relatives to texmf-dist/scripts/)

changes/pyMergeChanges.py
	already py3, needs shebang
de-macro/de-macro
	py2 only
dviasm/dviasm.py
	py2
ebong/ebong.py
	only py2
latex-make/
	unclear
	latex-make/figdepth.py
	latex-make/gensubfig.py
	latex-make/latexfilter.py
	latex-make/svg2dev.py
	latex-make/svgdepth.py
latex-papersize/latex-papersize.py
	py2
lilyglyphs/
	py2 only
	lilyglyphs/lily-glyph-commands.py
	lilyglyphs/lily-image-commands.py
	lilyglyphs/lily-rebuild-pdfs.py
	lilyglyphs/lilyglyphs_common.py
pdfbook2/pdfbook2
	py2
pgfplots/pgfplots.py
	unclear
pygmentex/pygmentex.py
	unclear, probably only Py2
pythontex/
	there are py3 versions, but defaults seems to be py2
	pythontex/depythontex.py
	pythontex/depythontex2.py
	pythontex/depythontex3.py
	pythontex/pythontex.py
	pythontex/pythontex2.py
	pythontex/pythontex3.py
	pythontex/pythontex_engines.py
	pythontex/pythontex_2to3.py
	pythontex/pythontex_install.py
	pythontex/pythontex_utils.py
sympytexpackage/sympytex.py
	unclear
texliveonfly/texliveonfly.py
	should work with py3, but needs new shebang
webquiz/*
	already py3

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev