mpost command line arg length limit?

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Fri Nov 8 23:56:21 CET 2019

>     aborts with a segmentation fault.
>
> Run it under a debugger and see where it's crashing?

Mhmm, not much information from the TeXLive binaries:

  Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
  Reason: 13 at address: 0x0000000000000000
  0x00000001001926bb in ?? ()
  (gdb) bt
  #0  0x00000001001926bb in ?? ()
  #1  0x000000010006f7c1 in ?? ()
  #2  0x0000000100015284 in ?? ()
  #3  0x00000001000138a2 in ?? ()
  #4  0x00000001000020d6 in ?? ()
  #5  0x0000000100000fd0 in ?? ()

> FWIW, if I create that path on my (GNU/Linux) system and run that
> command, it works.  So I guess the failure is not
> system-independent.

It seems so, yes.

> Also, by the way, MetaPost has not used dump (.mem) for years --
> 2010 or so.  The "dump" primitive is the same as "end". So this
> crashing command is a no-op. --best, karl.

Yep, I know that.  However, it also crashes if I remove the final
`\\dump`.

  Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
  Reason: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at address: 0x0000000000000008
  0x000000010006f510 in ?? ()
  (gdb) bt
  #0  0x000000010006f510 in ?? ()
  #1  0x00000001001926c5 in ?? ()
  #2  0x000000010006f7c1 in ?? ()
  #3  0x0000000100015284 in ?? ()
  #4  0x00000001000138a2 in ?? ()
  #5  0x00000001000020d6 in ?? ()
  #6  0x0000000100000fd0 in ?? ()

On the other hand, the mpost binary from TeXLive 2019 works just fine.
Too bad that TeXLive 2019's binaries of xetex and friends don't
work...

    Werner