Query from Nature about TexLive for Linux

Rick Graham rickhg12hs at gmail.com
Tue May 14 15:38:47 CEST 2019

Hello,

I don't know if you are looking for first-time TeX/LaTeX user experiences,
but mine was fairly typical, I think.

On a group research project, the lead investigator was writing a report and
he was using LaTeX.  I had never used it before but I was assured that I
could still contribute.  The instructions given to me verbally, via email,
and repeated within the .tex file, "Type all your text between the "%"
delimited comments with your name and return the document to me with all
your graphics attached to the email".  The .tex file was a mystery to me,
but my instructions were easy.  I was astounded at the final report.  It
was beautiful!

Since then, I use Tex Live because it always has everything I need to
create great looking documents.  For group writing, git and Zotero/JabRef
nicely complement LaTeX.  I do use TeXstudio for editing, mostly because I
don't write enough to stay "fluent" in Emacs, nor LaTeX.  TeXstudio's
highlighting and prompting/completion is very helpful for occasional
writers.  I have repeated the group writing experience with new LaTeX'ers
by having them type all their text between delimiters, and it seems to be a
good introduction.  They are universally amazed at the final result of
their first non-WYSIWYG editing experience.

Best regards,
Richard Graham