ftp server down

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu May 9 00:33:43 CEST 2019

    It seems ftp://tug.org is down.

It may seem that way, but it isn't so.  It is not down and has never
been down in recent times.

What is true, as I've said before, is that I have to impose strict
limits on the number of anonymous ftp logins. The problem is software
claiming the site is down when the real problem is that the max number
of connections are already active.

Using a standard command line ftp client will show in a meaningful error
message. The big browsers, etc., ignore the meaningful message and
report their stupid generic errors implying a problem at the server
end. They are wrong to do this, but I can't fix it. --best, karl.