pretesting please

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Sun Mar 24 11:30:12 CET 2019

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 10:00:51AM +0000, Taylor, P wrote:
> Siep Kroonenberg wrote:
>

> Just try. The effect on the installer interface is immediate.
>
> OK, I may try that.  But in the meantime I am performing a binary search on all TeX Lives from 2008 to date in order to find the year in which our Lexicon of Abbreviations & Ligatures in Greek Minuscule Hands ceased to compile, and to facilitate this I now have a new hierarchy, C:\TeX\Legacy\<year>.  If I move all older instances of TeX Live from C:\TeX\Live to C:\TeX\Legacy, do you think that use of the portable installation will still be necessary for TeX Live 2019 ?

Try to copy, not move, and then uninstall the original. This will
remove start menu entries, file associations, the uninstaller
registry key and, if you copy as a regular user, make the copy
writable. You might also check texmf.cnf in the root and add or
modify settings for TEXMFLOCAL, TEXMFSYSCONFIG and TEXMFSYSVAR. You
might also want to add settings for TEXMFHOME, TEXMFCONFIG and
TEXMFVAR, but these directories may not be used at all. Clicking
tl-tray-menu in the root of the installation will give you a
temporary menu. You can have any number of such installations which
will not get in each other's way.

> Well, in the past I have always installed as Administrator, but that has led to so many problems that this year I installed as myself (an intentionally non-privileged user).  I shall continue to use the latter option unless advised otherwise.  But is there really no debugging switch/aid/tool(s) for "tlshell" ?

Personally, I first try to narrow down the problem by trying
different things. Then I insert debug statements in the front end or
the back end or both.

--
Siep Kroonenberg