installer message about /usr/local/texlive/2019 not being writable

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Sat Mar 23 10:43:15 CET 2019

Hi Norbert,

Le 23/03/2019 à 01:10, Norbert Preining a écrit :
>> Should the user then execute sudo install-tl ?
>
> That is up to the user to decide. I don't care what is used.
> Using sudo during installation requires using sudo on all tlmgr update
> actions.
>
> There is not one **correct** way.

Would it make sense to provide a script,

create-texlive-directory-at-default-location.sh,

which would attempt to create a writable /usr/local/texlive,
if that fails prompt the user

/usr/local/texlive does not exist and can't be created (rerun as sudo to create)
/usr/local/texlive exists but is not writable/executable (rerun as sudo to modify access rights)
/usr/local/texlive exists and is writable/executable, sub-directory 2019 created (you can proceed with ./install-tl)

In first two cases the sudo run would create the /usr/local/texlive then handover the access rights from root to the user, although I am not versed enough into those matters to know if the sudo executed script can recover the own:grp of the non-sudo user who issued sudo

Best,

Jean-François