biber, two issues

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 10:15:14 CEST 2019

st 12. 6. 2019 v 23:39 odesílatel mario chiari <ml at mariochiari.net> napsal:

> On Mon, 2019-06-10 at 23:54 +0200, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> > On 2019-06-10 at 16:42:26 +0200, mario chiari wrote:
> >

> > I just run biber through strace and now I see that it doesn't use the
> > Perl installation at all.  It installs files in a temporary directory
> > and uses them, hence it's unclear to me why it behaves differently on
> > different machines.
> >
> > I can see that biber obeys the variable TMPDIR.  It's obviously set to
> > /var/www/tmp on your machine, which is quite strange if you type biber
> > --help on the command line.  Did you run it as a normal user?  Only
> > your web server should use /var/www.
> >

> I installed texlive 2019. Everything works fine (and faster), if I run my .php
> script from terminal (and biber from therein). Instead, biber crashes if I call
> the same  .php script from a web browser (localhost/myscript.php)
>
> For some reason I do not remember any more, my .bash_profile includes lines:
> PAR_GLOBAL_TEMP=/var/www/tmp
> export PAR_GLOBAL_TEMP
>
> It does not fix to set PAR_GLOBAL_TEMP=/var/www/html/tmp

It can be a web server problem. I do not know which SW you use.
Remember that e.g. Apache does not expose your environment to the
CGI/PHP scripts unless they are set in the *.conf files by PassEnv
and/or SetEnv directives. For security reasons, /tmp and /var/tmp are
not used directly, a virtual filesystem is built there and files
created by one CGI/PHP process do not exist for another CGI/PHP
process. Thus you PHP script can see the file as /tmp/something but
the real file will be /tmp/somedir/something where somedir is
unpredictable. I have my own wrappers if I need to do such things.

> thanks
> cheers
> mario

Zdeněk Wagner