Can't install tl2019 - UI broken

Patrick Gundlach patrick at gundla.ch
Tue Jul 9 13:11:51 CEST 2019

I am not subscribed to the list, so please excuse the incorrect sorting of this mail.

Thank you Siep for the update, it works better than before, but still not really well:

When I click on the "change" button in the first dialog (to change the installation directory - the top image I've sent before), I get to a new window. The text field when I click the middle change button is deactivated on the first click. So I have to click cancel and go into the directory again.

I find it really surprising and counter intuitive to have one window and three buttons to select a directory where as the normal way to select a directory in all other applications is with one button. Just my 2 cents, I don't want to start a discussion.

There are other things that were a bit surprising in the tl2019 installer: For example the first window with the CTAN selection disappears too quickly to be able to change the mirror. And when I am able to change the mirror, the program exits on the command line with an error such as:

 ./install-tl
kill: 86212: No such process

and then re-appears with English as the UI language (instead of the previous auto selected German).

Thank you anyway for providing a nice graphical installer! The things I mention are rather minor issues, I just want to point them out.

Patrick