context update in TeX Live

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 10:59:10 CET 2019

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 at 07:19, Norbert Preining wrote:

> Hi Luigi,
>
> you did an update of context in TeX Live, and during this the contents
> and format of texmfcnf.lua (texmf-dist/web2c/) has changed considerably,
> and above all, the time stamp has gone back one year.

Just guessing: the timestamp might have been increased in TeX Live
internally when the file was imported/adapted, while the timestamp in
texmfcnf.lua in ConTeXt never actually changed.

> There is no TEXMFCONFIG definition anymore, the CACHE is different etc
> etc.
>
> Just wanted to make sure that this was intended!?!?

This file texmfcnf.lua is not supposed to be copied from ConTeXt as it
is specific to the ConTeXt distribution and needs specific
modifications for TeX Live. There is a chance that some settings need
to be synchronised / fixed (I see that some values are bigger in TeX
Live, so maybe those need to be increased in ConTeXt for better
consistency), others might have become obsolete. But that file should
not be copied one-to-one.

For all I know is that Karl made some script a while ago that's able
to automatically update ConTeXt in TeX Live, avoiding accidental
mistakes. I asked him to do that since it has never been
straightforward to put the right files to the right place.

For example:
    TEXMFCONTEXT    = "selfautoparent:texmf-context",
only makes sense for the ConTeXt distribution, it's meaningless for
TeX Live, while TEXMFSYSCONFIG (not needed in ConTeXt distro) has been
removed. I didn't do a close inspection, but such changes could make
LuaTeX completely broken in TL.

The diff is here:
http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/texmf-dist/web2c/texmfcnf.lua?limit_changes=0&r1=50086&r2=50085&pathrev=50086

But I'm confused why the ConTeXt sources were committed now since the
freeze did not even happen yet. (Or did I miss something?)

This means that ConTeXt is now most likely broken in TeX Live 2018
(and will forever remain broken for those who update now unless we
roll back). Or does the latest version of ConTeXt work with last
year's LuaTeX?

Mojca