Suggested feature: Portable document archive

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 12:38:43 CET 2019

Hi all,

as already noted, such a scheme offers just basic possibilities. The
first problem is that you support two platforms only which means that
it is not portable. Looking at my everyday work I have to work in
Linux and cooperate with coauthors using Mac and Windows. My project
consist of a main file and one file per chapter, a custom package
file, bibliography file, sometimes custom bibliography style and an
index style for makeindex or a module for xindy. I need source files
for gnuplot, sometimes source files for octave, sometimes source files
for metapost, asymptote etc. I also need ICC profiles for colour
conversion. And, of course, I need processing by
perl/sed/awk/grep/bash. Most of it is portable if shared via
versioning systems.

A few years ago I was asked to prepare a package implementing a
graphical design for one company. They wanted to use it in MiKTeX and
Scientific Word. They also asked me for help with typesetting. I knew
how to do it in TeX, I have no experience with Scientific Word because
I use Linux. It lead the company to stop using Scientific Word because
they understood that work with vanilla TeX is easier and more
flexible.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz

po 30. 12. 2019 v 23:04 odesílatel Barry MacKichan