xdvipdfmx problems after update from version 20190225 to 20190503

Jens Adam j.adam at innoriid.com
Thu Aug 1 14:24:27 CEST 2019

Hi All,

I successfully used XeLaTeX from my complete MacTeX installation from the TeX Collection DVD 2019 on MacOS Mojave.

Recently I did an update with the TeX Live Utility and XeLaTex didn’t produce pdf files for my dozens of documents.

Separate calls to

	xelatex --no-pdf xxx.tex

(no errors reported) and

	xdvipdfmx -vv xxx.xdv

reported problems with FontAwesome TrueType fonts, in my case version 5.3.1.

I replaced the TrueType with OpenType fonts et violà: pdf files were produced again.

Now that I have pdf output, I found that one pdf included as a graphic had the expected size but rendered completely transparent.

xelatex run without problems, but xdvipdfmx reported

	xdvipdfmx:warning: inflate() failed. Broken PDF file?

The new version seems to be picky about fonts and pdf graphics.

The pdf required for the following MWE is attached.

% Compile with XeLaTeX!
\documentclass{memoir}
\RequirePackage{graphicx}
\begin{document}
\framebox{\includegraphics[width=0.75\textwidth]{Spectrum-pdfreport}}
\end{document}