TeX Live future access in danger

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sat Apr 13 18:53:50 CEST 2019

George N. White III wrote:

> For several years now, Protocol Relative URL's
> <https://www.paulirish.com/2010/the-protocol-relative-url/> are an
> anti-pattern to be avoided.

Not in my opinion.  If a visitor establishes a non-secure link to my
site and seeks to fetch other resources from my site via embedded links,
those resources will be fetched insecurely; if he/she establishes a
secure link, then they will be fetched securely.   If I hard-code the
links as HTTP, then those resources cannot be accessed if the connection
is secure; if I hard-code the links as HTTPS, then I might well trigger
the “This page contains both secure and insecure Items” message from
IE.  Using protocol/schemeless URLs is, to my mind, by far the best way
to code local links when the means of access (secure/insecure) cannot be
known at the time of coding.

> As the above page notes, IE gives "“This Page Contains Both Secure and
> Non-Secure
> Items” error messages.

You are reading something into that page that I cannot, George. What the
page notes is "If the browser is viewing that current page in through
HTTPS, then it’ll request that asset with the HTTPS protocol, otherwise
it’ll typically* request it with HTTP. This prevents that awful “This
Page Contains Both Secure and Non-Secure Items” error message in IE,
keeping all your asset requests within the same protocol".  Note, "THIS
PREVENTS", not "THIS CAUSES".

Philip Taylor