"command_line_encoding=utf8" in texmf.cnf on windows?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Apr 2 00:45:37 CEST 2019

    It is known that the setting gives undesirable side effects in a few cases.

Is there any way to detect, or classify, those "few cases", so that they
can be ameliorated?

Although any decision for Windows is not up to me, it sounds scary to
make such a far-reaching change at this moment. It seems like it would
be safer to make it after the release, when it can be easily reverted,
instead of burning it into the final supposed-to-be-stable release.

BTW, I seem to recall that you tried making this change once before and
had to revert it? --best, karl.