[tex-live] ICC profiles for PDF/A compliance

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Sep 11 03:35:14 CEST 2018

Hi Peter,

> I think the file (whichever one) should be included with pdfx,
> typically in the same directory as the other pdfx files. Each

I agree with that, the size is irrelevant.

> As to which profile to include: I don't think it matters much.  Any
> user who cares about precise print color specifications can provide
> and include their own color profile, using e.g. the
> \setRGBcolorprofile or \setCMYKcolorprofile commands provided by the
> pdfx package.

Indeed, that is a good point.

> The point of providing a default profile is to make life easy to the
> rest of the users (presumably the majority) who don't care that much
> about professional quality color. Most TeX documents are
> black-and-white, with perhaps a few HTML colors like \color{red}
> thrown in. They will look okay no matter which profile is used.

Then a simple sRGB profile would suffice for sure. Like the one Reinhard
sent with a straight forward color space transformation.

> Moreover, as I understand it, RGB profiles are not really meant for
> professional use (most professional printers will prefer CMYK

It was like this for long time (I often did print posters for
conferences, books etc) and CMYK separation was necessary for most
printers. But in recent years I have seen a move - at least in the
normal print business, not the high class super value stuff though I
guess - to be completely fine with RGB.

All the best

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer