[tex-live] tl2016,tl2018: broken psnup shipped

Reuben Thomas rrt at sc3d.org
Sat Sep 1 01:56:40 CEST 2018

On 31 August 2018 at 02:16, Akira Kakuto <kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp> wrote:

> With (at least) tl2016 and tl2018 the compiled psnup is ignoring the
>> arguments (at least -H, -W ...
>>

> At the top of main() in psnup.c, the global width and height
> are set:
>
>   if (!paper_size(NULL, &width, &height))
>     die("could not get default paper size");
>
> so width != -1 and height != -1 at the begininng of the program.
>
> Thus width and height are never changed at
>
>   /* set default values of input height & width */
>   if ( iwidth > 0 && width == -1 )
>     width = iwidth ;
>   if ( iheight > 0 && height == -1 )
>     height = iheight ;
>
> where iheight and iwidth are set by -H and -W.
>
> So I will change the above as
>
>   /* set default values of input height & width */
>   if ( iwidth > 0 )
>     width = iwidth ;
>   if ( iheight > 0 )
>     height = iheight ;
>
> in order that users can change default sizes by -H and -W,
> if Reuben admits.

Thanks for looking into this.

Since 2014 I've been working on a complete rewrite of psutils in Perl, with
a test suite to ensure that the rewrite does not introduce bugs or, as far
as possible, different behavior, though I've already had to make some
changes where the current code is buggy or the current behavior does not
make sense. I've not done anything for precisely a year, but I'm hoping to
get back to it later this year (this is a realistic hope, as I will go from
having two half-time jobs to only one shortly!).

I think given the circumstances, the change you suggest is therefore a
sensible one. As far as I know, texlive is the only software distribution
shipping up-to-date psutils, so no need for me to make an interim release.

--
https://rrt.sc3d.org