[tex-live] tl2018: unclear how to report bugs

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Sep 1 00:57:29 CEST 2018

As far as I can see, the answer to "I'm looking for information about
package abc" is to visit https://ctan.org/pkg/abc (or look at the
source). All TL does is reflect the information gathered at CTAN, and it
does not make sense to try to do anything separate from that.

Norbert already wrote the bit of code to import the CTAN contact info
into the TLPDB, although it might become stale from time to time. If
you're online, it's better just to look at CTAN in the first place.

texdoc is about viewing documentation, not providing package information.
To see such information, tlmgr info 12many.

As Manfred said, hardly any packages provide such information now, so
this all a bunch of infrastructure with hardly any content at the
moment, but maybe that will improve in years to come.

Maybe a volunteer could go through package sources and tell CTAN about
the relevant public information found ... -k