[tex-live] Update texlive-bin or not?

Lars Madsen daleif at math.au.dk
Fri Oct 12 14:00:13 CEST 2018

This is very normal.

You linux box does not know you installed something equivalent to packages that are in the Linux dist.

Often things like texlie-bin pops up as recommended packages when you install say a LaTeX editor.

It can be avoied by

sudo apt install --no-install-recommends programme

However, my preferred method is to tell the system that I've installed something equivalent to the dist packages.

I usually use this method

https://www.tug.org/texlive/debian.html

under

Integrating vanilla TeX Live with Debian

I usuallt skip the step

equivs-control texlive-local

and instead wgets the relevant file, for TL-2018 it is

wget https://www.tug.org/texlive/files/debian-equivs-2018-ex.txt -O texlive-local

then build the package and install it.

It tells the package manager that packages equivalent to the listes packages have been installed, it does not need to install them again

/Lars Madsen
Institut for Matematik / Department of Mathematics
Aarhus Universitet / Aarhus University