[tex-live] making XeTeX not embed fonts

Akira Kakuto kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp
Thu Nov 29 10:45:27 CET 2018

Dear Werner, Karl,

> In final.pdf all embedded fonts in xtst.pdf are removed.

I copied open type fonts into Resource/CIDFont of Ghostscript:
KozGoPr6N-Bold,
KozGoPr6N-Medium,
KozMinPr6N-Regular,
SourceHanSans-Heavy.

Note that I removed the suffix .otf from the filenames.

I could embed fonts again into the final.pdf by a command
gs -q -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite \
-sOutputFile=xtst2.pdf final.pdf xtst.ps.

(Actually gs is gswin32c since I'm on Windows.)

pfffonts xtst2.pdf
showed

name                                 type              encoding
 emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ -----------------
---------------- --- --- --- ---------
QJJKMJ+KozGoPr6N-Medium              CID Type 0C       Identity-H
 yes yes no      23  0
QQKGCN+KozMinPr6N-Regular            CID Type 0C       Identity-H
 yes yes no      19  0
HOTETC+KozGoPr6N-Bold                CID Type 0C       Identity-H
 yes yes no      15  0
SEWZDA+SourceHanSans-Heavy           CID Type 0C       Identity-H
 yes yes yes     11  0

The fonts are subsetted, but
(size of xtst2.pdf) / (size of xtst.pdf) = 7.26.

It seems that the subsetting of open type fonts
in (x)dvipdfmx is much better than in Ghostscript.

Best,
Akira