[tex-live] Updates to new TL installer GUI

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 22:19:44 CET 2018

po 26. 11. 2018 v 22:00 odesílatel Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> napsal:

> Denis Bitouzé wrote:
> > Some remarks:
> > 1. "Normal" box:
> >     1. IMHO, the box such as "Installation root", displayed as follows
> >        (ascii art):
> >       ┌────
> >       │         /usr/local        /        texlive        /        2018
> >       │       +-------------+          +-------------+         +-------------+
> >       │       |  Browse...  +          |   Change    +         | Toggle year +
> >       │       +-------------+          +-------------+         +-------------+
> >       └────
> >        could be confusing, especially for beginners: this way of choosing
> >        a directory is quite unusual.
> I would agree with that; the user should (IMHO ) (be able to) either
> type, or browse to, the desired location in a single dialogue box.

The problem is that any GUI (including Tk) is able to navigate to
existing directory only. If a user installs his/her first TL, then
/usr/local exists but /usr/local/texlive does not. If a standard
dialogue is used, a user must first type texlive to create
/usr/local/texlive, navigate to it, then type 2018 to create
/usr/local/texlive/2018 and then select it. Alternatively the standard
dialogue can be abandoned and a single text input used. If a user
types texlive/2018, the 2018 subdirectory can be created under
existing /usr/local/texlive or the whole directory structure can
directly be created in a single step (by calling mkpath) if there is
no /usr/local/texlive. I do not want to judge which approach is better
but a combination of these two will IMHO lead to higher confusion.

> Philip Taylor

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz