[tex-live] Neo4j and TeX Live History

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Fri Nov 16 19:21:07 CET 2018

Dear all

I have now completed (but not finished) an import of each TeX Live
Database (texlive.tlpdb) since 2009-05-24 till today into a Graph
Database (Neo4j).

Represented entities are
- TLPDB
- TLPOBJ (so call TL Packages, that is what you install via tlmgr)
- TLPSRC (the source of those)
- Files (all files contained in a package)
- dependencies between all TLPOBJ (depend fields in tlpdb)
- contains: which TLPOBJ are contained in which TLPDB
- includes: which Files are contained in which TLPOBJ

Please see
	https://github.com/TeX-Live/tl-neo4j
for a bit more details. There is also a read-only access to this
database at
	 http://texlive.info:7474/browser/
with user name and password both being "neo4j"

Just to give you an idea what can easily be done:

Find the packages with the highest number of updates over these 9+
years:

	match (tlpdb:TLPDB) --> (p:TLPOBJ:Package)
	with p.name as pkg,count(DISTINCT p)-1 as updates
	where updates > 0
	return pkg,updates order by -updates

This returns the following list, cut off at 100 updates:
	pkg 		updates
	bidi 		185
	dvips 		172
	tex4ht 		152
	context 	134
	siunitx 	133
	xepersian 	125
	pstricks 	110
	newtx 		104
(here I restricted the search to TL Packages of type "Package", this
excludes "Context" packages as well as "TLCore" packages. The absolute
"winner" in terms of package updates is
	texlive-docindex	1810
	texlive.infra		945

All the best

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer