[tex-live] inclusion of texlive-includernw

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat Nov 10 19:17:53 CET 2018

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018, Andreas Storvik Strauman wrote:

>>  causing  havoc for those who upgrade texlive because texlive-includernw tries to
>> install R and many R packages without checking whether they are installed
>> elsewhere.
>

> Oh! I see. That's a problem.
>

>> I can't see a list of maintainers of  texlive-collection-mathscience, so cannot see how to get texlive-includernw de-listed urgently.
>

> I don't know who put it there! I do not know how it ended up in TeXLive
> fedora, but I do have email addresses of some TeXLive guys, and I could
> try to contact them?

Excellent, and congratulations on being included - it means others find
your contribution useful! But please do try to investigate whether it is
the inclusion in the collection (I believe this is the case) that causes
the install-time checks, or whether it is a mis-understanding by the
Fedora texlive packager.

>> ... should be re-written to check for dependency availability on R at the
>> level of the user rather than root at install time.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> This probably cannot be done.
>
> Agreed, but I'll give it a shot anyways.
>

>> The package should actually do the checking at run time only,
>
>> providing helpful messages only.
>

> At run time is better than install time, or no?
>

> I did not intend this package to cause any inconvenience, and I find it
> extremely odd that it's actually attempting to install R-knitr?

That's what it does on Fedora. Maybe there are specification settings in
the package (is the source on a repo, if so where?), but it could be the
Fedora texlive packager.

Sorry to jump on you, but this cost me a good deal of worry before I
understood why upgrading Fedora had installed an R rpm with R packages
including R-knitr.

Roger

voice: +47 55 95 93 55; e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
http://orcid.org/0000-0003-2392-6140