[tex-live] MacTex Bug: wget.x86_64-darwin is missing HTTPS support

Johannes Hielscher jhielscher at posteo.de
Sat May 19 12:44:49 CEST 2018

Am Fri, 18 May 2018 21:11:49 +0200
schrieb Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de>:

> On 2018-05-18 at 22:54:32 +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
>
>  > Anyway, I would be grateful if some Mac people could try this:
>  >   export TL_DOWNLOAD_PROGRAM=curl
>  >   export TL_DOWNLOAD_ARGS="-s -o"
>  > and then run, just to make sure that LWP is not used
>  >   tlmgr --no-persistent-downloads ....
>  >
>  > That should use curl, and should according to you work with https,
>  > too.
>
> Users of BSD systems should try too.  AFAIK BSD sytems use curl by
> default instead of wget.

FreeBSD 11.1 here (amd64-freebsd), curl is currently running with https
mirror under the hood of
  tlmgr --no-persistent-downloads update --all
and works with no visible difference to other platforms (namely,
wget/x86_64-linux).

Note that curl is not guaranteed to be present on instances of
{Free,Net,Open,Dragonfly}BSD! Under workstation-like conditions,
chances are good that it got pulled as a dependency, but it is treated
as third-party software (ports), and as a such not present in pure
systems.

In fact there are default http clients (fetch(1), ftp(1), …), but all
with their own habits to be respected.

Best,
Johannes